Tendonitis occurs when a tendon – the thick cord that connects a muscle to a bone – becomes inflamed or irritated. It most commonly happens to tendons in the shoulder, thigh, knee, wrist, elbow, thumb and the ankle. Most injuries are a result of overuse of muscles during sports, and the most common age group to develop tendonitis are adults with a sports-heavy lifestyle.
Examples of tendonitis:
- Golfer’s elbow
- Jumper’s knee
- Pitcher’s shoulder
- Swimmer’s shoulder
- Tennis elbow
- Achilles tendonitis
Seniors are also prone to tendonitis because tendons tend to lose elasticity with age. In addition, people who have diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis are also at higher risk for developing tendonitis.
What are the symptoms?
- Pain in the affected area that worsens is the first sign
- A feeling that the tendon is grating or cracking – this is mostly identified in an examination
- Localized swelling, redness and hot sensation
- A lump that develops along the tendon
Topical Cream Compounding
Topical cream (also known as transdermal cream) compounding has proven to be one of the most effective ways for treating the swelling and associated pain that comes with tendonitis. Through compounding, the pharmacists at ORIGINS Pharmacy combine active ingredients that will target the site of pain and customize the medication to your unique situation.
The main benefits of compounding topical treatments include:
- They are easy to apply
- They are applied directly to the area of discomfort (no oral medication side effects)
- They work faster than pain killers and do not cause damage to vital organs (in the long run)
- You can deliver several medications with one application (steroids, pain relievers, anti-inflammatories, muscle-relaxants, etc.)
- They ensure more effective outcomes with lower doses
In the end, the possibility of faster pain relief combined with a shorter recovery time and fewer side effects is what makes compounded transdermal cream a popular choice for tendonitis and other sports-related injuries. At ORIGINS Pharmacy, we have the right equipment, extensive experience, and specialized knowledge to compound custom medications suited to your body’s needs.
The Benefits of Using Compounded Dermatology Medications
September 19, 2017
CLOSING TIME – Miranda Tawfik on a medical mission to Guatelmala November 2016
August 9, 2017
Extremely proud of my partner (and sister), pharmacist Sherri Tawfik on her mission to prevent deaths and support and educate our community at large on the risks of opioid addiction!
August 9, 2017
Tired of Being Tired?
December 19, 2016
Compounding for Erectile Dysfunction
July 22, 2016